Legal Updates

Missouri Family Law: What Can You do if Your Ex-Spouse is Not Paying Child Support or Allowing Visitation?

In Missouri, if a court enters an order for child custody or child support and one of the parties willfully fails to meet their obligations under the order, the other party may file a Motion for Contempt.  Under Missouri law a court may enter “appropriate orders” to address a party’s failure or refusal to comply with the court’s orders.

A court may use contempt powers to enforce its orders in cases dealing with Child Support, Child Custody and maintenance (alimony).

To get relief from the court, a party must file a Motion for Contempt.  The party against whom the motion is filed is entitled to proper notice of the motion and an opportunity to be heard or to provide a defense.

If the court finds that the offending party is in contempt of the Court’s order it may order the offending party jailed until such time as the actions causing the contempt are cured.  For example, in a child support case, the court has the authority to order the party in contempt to be jailed until any child support arrearage is paid in full.

Every case is unique and the information contained here is intended to be general in nature and not legal advice for any particular case.  If you believe a party in contempt of a court order it is best to seek the advice of an attorney to see how the law applies to your particular case. We can be reached at 636-410-5227.